Thursday, May 10, 2012

The Menace of Mother's Day



My fetus-free womb used to convulse at the mention of Mother's Day.  At my request, my Mister and I transformed the whole weekend into a celebration of infertility.  A sushi banquet would be followed by a jetted hot tub and possible soft cheeses.  But Sunday Morning my throat still tightened when they attempted to force a pitying carnation corsage into my fisted hands.

If you've held back similarly motivated tears or are struggling to complete your family in any way, perhaps you should read about Laurel.



1 comment:

  1. I can relate. Several years of infertility while living in Utah were very difficult to bear. Similar to you, I was blessed to first adopt a daughter then bear a son. I now have 5 children (ages 6 and under), but still remember how painful Mother's day could be. A friend recently suggested that we call it "Mothering Day" and I think that would be more appropriate, don't you?
    (PS: Pass along my thanks, again, to your mister for setting me up with my mister on our first date. We celebrate 10 years of marriage this summer).

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin