Friday, January 8, 2010

Resolution #3: Dress Better When I Have a Special Occasion

Vogue 1957, Christian Dior

rotted rigmarole

Elegance does not require dry cleaning. A three digit price tag is not requisite to elegance. Elegance is not defined by sequins, ruffles, or charmeuse. Elegance could be an unsullied top in a complimentary hue. A sharp trouser line hemmed to the appropriate length. Polish, sophistication, taste, dignity results in elegance.

To Dress Everyday in Elegance, a revisionary argument in three part:


part 1. Every day is a special occasion. The morning you went to the dentist and exited without a single cavity. The afternoon you changed your password to a very clever acronym. The evening you made macaroni and cheese from scratch for supper. Every day is worthy of celebration, of a memory. Do you want to remember yourself in a sloppy t-shirt and velour elastic-waist pants?

part 2. Saved from apologies. Are you embarrassed by your apparel when visitors arrive unannounced? Do you skip aisles to avoid being recognized at the grocery store? Do you assume stories about recent calisthenics when in truth you've haven't exerted a stretch to merit your stretchy pants all day? Most importantly are you consistently arriving at a location, only to shamefully cast your gaze down in an inadvertent apology to yourself?

part 3. Finished with a smile. Regardless of the turn of your silhouette, turn the corners of your mouth up. Spend as much time as you deem appropriate in front of the mirror but as soon as you walk out the door, turn your attention outward. Find the beauty in others and you will multiply the elegance in yourself.

7 comments:

  1. I've really enjoyed these recent posts about just general elegance in the every day. I totally agree. It isn't a superficial thing. The way we dress has an impact on how we feel about ourselves. At least for me, when I wear pretty things, I feel prettier. My clothes are neither expensive nor ostentatious (in fact, we get things at the thrift shop pretty often), and I still feel pretty. This is really motivational...thanks for your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post! I always try to look my best not for anyone else, but myself. I am better when I feel better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think my daughters would have my hide if I went out looking less than my best. Am I right?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just started reading when you started these posts and I must say I'm hooked. I love the resolutions. I've just started style blogging and while it does sometimes feel silly and superficial I know that it's about making an impact on how I'm consuming (hopefully less by shopping my closet) and how I feel. So simple but huge impact!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love all this advice! Because it really does help me evaluate what I should be doing/wearing to feel good. Thank you so much! I love reading you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i love all these resolutions! you give such great tips and are very classy in how you say it :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin