Friday, February 10, 2012

Body ♥ Love Challenge Day 6: Accept a Compliment




The glitter of intelligence and kosher curiosity can not be ignored in your eyes today.  Someone presents you with a honey of a compliment, how do you respond?
  1. Seriously? Did you not notice the cozy cushion of wrinkles they're resting in?
  2. Who me, you must not have noticed Daisy Sue's viridian peepers?  And really, aren't everyone's eyes pretty in their own way?
  3. Shut up :)  I love your nose, it's so perfectly centered on your face.
  4. THANK YOU, what a lovely thing to say.
If you angle toward A, you are a rejector, at best a minimizer.  Not only are you degrading yourself, you are also discrediting your praising patron.  Compliments are a way of expessing opinion and blatantly disagreeing shows a lack of appreciation for their judgement.

If you bend toward B, you are a deflector. This cloak of altruism hides your own insecurity.  While it's noble to share praise, especially where warranted, it's also important to realize that compliments can not be eaten by the absent and leave nothing for anyone to savor when spread between too many people.  You need to eat your own deserving dessert and enjoy it.

Swerving toward C may indicate compulsive reciprocation.  Every hint of hurrah is immediately volleyed and matched.  If you flatter out of debt, you cheapen your sincerity.  If you mean it, say it, if not, smile and accept.

If you answered D you can take a compliment.  And I commend you on your open gratitude.


The fact is you deserve the compliments you receive.  What you presented inspired someone, made the world prettier, or brightened what was dull.  It's not arrogant to be grateful.

Day 6 Challenge: Accept a compliment without apology, deflection, or reciprocal return.  

Post your favorite compliments or favorite responses to a compliment in the comments,  feel free to link to blogs, instagram, pinterest, flicker, or other sources

4 comments:

  1. Reachel, I sincerely enjoy your blog posts! And yes, that is a compliment. I think I was unaware that I had a habit of not being able to accept a compliment. My most frequent compliment is in regards to my auburn curly hair. And I do have a tendency to deflect on how wild it can be...perhaps I should stop and enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been pondering compliments a lot lately, and have actually been trying to revise how I respond before I even read this! If someone says to me, "You have beautiful eyes", I would not only accept it, but compliment them as well. "Thank you! So do you :)"
    xoxo//simi

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always answer either A or B, so that is definitely something I need to work on. I will accept this challenge!
    Modern Modest Beauty

    ReplyDelete
  4. We women often have such a hard time accepting compliments. I used to think I had to give a compliment in return but have learned to simply say, "Thank you -- it's so kind of you to say."

    Sarah
    Cable Car Couture

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin