Thursday, February 23, 2012

Signature Style Makeover Week: Clothing

I am a romantic, with every frill, ruffle, and bow attached.  But with both feet firmly planted in my third decade, I'm ready to renounce "cute" in favor of a slightly more sophisticated "pretty."
a catalog of where I've been
And while I'm open to letting my pumps go nude, I cling to my narrative roots.  I want storytelling to be a part of my dress and enchantment to underlie every garment I select.

So I began with a rigorous analysis of the signature style spectrum.  Prisms split light into seven categories ranging from red to violet, I have dissected fashion into the following five flavors.



And whether a store or celebrity, most looks fall somewhere along this continuum.

True, purity can be luxurious: Missoni's bohemianism, Gucci's drama, Chanel's traditionalism, Valentino's romance.  But I intend to blend.  What I want is a style hybrid, a sophisticated breed made of my own natural selection.

As examples:

Bohemian + Modern = Tory Burch
tailored lines intersect natural motifs, sharp outlines blend with bohemian overtones
Dramatic + Romantic = Betsey Johnson
perpetually girly at an unrelenting party, a blushing bold
Modern + Romantic = Kate Spade
vivid feminity, neatly organized whimsy

Where does your style like-o-meter point?  Or who's style do you most envy?

Desire something deeper? Reserve a 60 minute virtual shopping session to compile a portfolio of uniquely personal ensembles. Rather than teetering between blasé and flagrant, relax knowing you will have an expert to offer informed opinions, creative outfitting advice, and savvy shopping experience. Sessions initiate with a signature style discovery interview.




P.S. If you're looking for similar styles to J.Crew and Ann Taylor, try these coupons for Overstock.

5 comments:

  1. I would say that my style is modern, romantic, and traditional. Which makes sense considering my wardrobe consists mainly of Anthropologie, J. Crew, and Ann Taylor.

    Great post, I really enjoyed this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm, put me down for modern romantic. If that's what Kate Spade is, that's what I want to be!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like seeing your style change over the last few years. All your outfits look great! I feel like my style is constantly changing. I'm in between styles right now with my bangs growing out and being fully pregnant. At the moment I only wear what fits but I look forward to being able to dress with more flexibility. Over all I find I'm mostly drawn to romantic with some modern.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was both entertaining AND informative!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is wonderful. I am a Kibbe Romantic and I'm 46 years old. Need to look romantic/pretty in a mature way. Please expand on this!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin